From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Hiding problems, breach of Gentoo Social Contract
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 08:51:31
1 On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 00:59:27 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I have read this a few times now. I cannot see it being taken any other way
5 > than written. Nothing states the problems shall remain hidden indefinitely.
6 >
7 > Specifically mentioning BOTH security and developer relations. Meaning neither
8 > receives special treatment over the other. Neither should be private, unless
9 > requested to not publicize before a deadline. Implying by default it is public
10 > including developer relations information. Developer bugs remain visible, as
11 > are bugs filed to comrel.
12
13 Did it ever occur to you that most people around here didn't ever
14 bother reading it that carefully?
15
16 > The fact that it mentions developer relations information implies that those
17 > problems should be open and not hidden. That developer relations is also
18 > handled via Bugzilla at least in part. That further links developer relations
19 > problems to the social contract and not hiding problems there.
20 >
21 > If requests to publicize problems are denied. That seems like a clear breach
22 > of the Social Contract. I would expect the Foundation to fulfill its obligation
23 > to protect the community and enforce total adherence to the Gentoo Social
24 > Contract.
25
26 It sounds like you have succeeded in finding a rule that proves your
27 point. Good job. Now, why do you presume that your application is
28 correct?
29
30 Sure, that might have been the original intent. But that's not how
31 comrel has been operating for a long time. It's bad if people haven't
32 conformed to the contract but it could entirely have been an oversight.
33
34 I see this as a kind of 'dead law'. And now you're trying to abuse it
35 to force your point of view, while entirely neglecting the other
36 possibility -- to update it to match the long standing status quo.
37
38 That said, I don't mind publicizing comrel bugs -- if you get all
39 the parties to agree on it. If you file a comrel bug, you do so with
40 presumption that it will be kept classified. It's not fair to
41 unclassify it without getting the consent of both the accusing party
42 and the accused.
45 Best regards,
46 Michał Górny
47 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>