From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Handbooks moving to the wiki
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:26:02
1 On 14 December 2014 at 23:02, Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 14 December 2014 at 09:22, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 22:04:28 +0800 Ben de Groot wrote:
7 >> > On 14 December 2014 at 21:59, Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o>
8 >> > wrote:
10 >> > > Hash: SHA256
11 >> > >
12 >> > > On 14/12/14 14:57, Ben de Groot wrote:
13 >> > >> Is https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_install_guide not enough for
14 >> > >> your needs?
15 >> > > No.
16 >> > >
17 >> > > I like having a comprehensive book to lend friends and look at when
18 >> > > helping friends install Gentoo. This is not comprehensive enough for a
19 >> > > newbie.
20 >> >
21 >> > In such cases I would recommend a Live USB (or CD/DVD) that has a
22 >> > graphical environment, so that the user can keep a modern web browser
23 >> > next to a terminal window, to ease installation. In that case the wiki
24 >> > is perfectly usable.
25 >>
26 >> No, this is not a solution, because on particular hardware live
27 >> media (live usb/cd/dvd/whatever) may fail with video or gui support.
28 >>
29 >> I had such problem this year, when I had to install Gentoo from
30 >> LiveCD without ability to use any other host for support (reading
31 >> howtos, googling and so on). I used SystemRescueCD because of ample
32 >> set of debug, admin and analysis tools I needed to configure
33 >> system properly, but GUI was just a failure due to lack of nvidia
34 >> drivers out of the box. Of course, I can easily fix such issues
35 >> when fresh system is installed, but while it was being installed I
36 >> had to use what is available from the live media. And elinks was a
37 >> great help back there.
38 >>
39 >> So it will be really nice to keep handbook copies outside of wiki
40 >> interface. Probably a reasonable compromise will be to keep
41 >> handbooks at the wiki, but to use some script to generate simpler
42 >> htmls for out of the wiki usage scope.
43 >>
44 >> Best regards,
45 >> Andrew Savchenko
49 > I feel like we do not need to optimize for this case really. I feel that the
50 > odds of installing Gentoo where you have no GUI (via either the LiveDVD or
51 > SystemRescueCD), no smartphone to use to look at the wiki, no tablet to use
52 > to look at the wiki (I'm not sure about elsewhere, but here in the US, you
53 > can get a brand-new Android tablet for $40 USD at a physical store (less
54 > online) and in the UK you can find them under 50GBP), no spare computers to
55 > use to look at the wiki are extremely unlikely.
56
57 And it's not like the wiki is unusable in a text-based browser like
58 elinks. It may be a little more inconvenient, but we are really
59 talking about corner cases here.
62 Cheers,
63
64 Ben | yngwin