From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP web of trust
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 13:47:50
1 On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 12:55 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 02/01/19 08:25, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > On Thu, 2019-01-31 at 12:33 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:56 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >>> Verify the person's real name (at least for the user identifier
8 > >>> used for copyright purposes). This is usually done through
9 > >>> verifying an identification document with photograph. It is
10 > >>> a good idea to ask for the document type earlier, and read on
11 > >>> forgery protections used.
12 > >>
13 > >> "usually"? "identification document"? Does this mean that an
14 > >> appropriate method of verification is entirely up to individual
15 > >> discretion? If so that makes the process of getting every key signed
16 > >> fairly trivial as long as two people have (in?)appropriately-rigorous
17 > >> standards...
18 > >
19 > > I'm sorry, I keep forgetting that you can't rely on people in Gentoo
20 > > being mature and you need to specify everything as 'MUST' and 'MUST
21 > > NOT', or otherwise they are going to ignore the spirit of the policy
22 > > and violate in the worst way permitted by bending the wording.
23 > >
24 > You started this thread with what distinctly appeared to be a plea to
25 > avoid ad hominem attacks, just to turn around make make them yourself.
26 > Do, kindly, stop it.
27
28 Neither of our comments were helpful here. I made a
29 passive-aggressive post out of emotion and mgorny made a provoked
30 passive-aggressive reply (which is why we shouldn't be communicating
31 this way in the first place). In both cases the tone distracted from
32 the gist of the points:
33
34 1. The standards for identification are somewhat subjective and will
35 necessarily vary from individual to individual. You actually phrased
36 this concern better in your reply, and perhaps I might have done the
37 same if I had taken more time to compose myself better.
38 2. Mgorny's point is that in practice well-intending identity
39 verifiers are probably going to be good enough at getting the job
40 done. I agree, though mainly because I don't think it is important
41 that the job be done at all.
44 Rich