From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [LONG] Re: EAPI-2 and src_configure in eclasses
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:39:09
1 On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 04:45:16 +0100
2 Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > As I've said every time you make that
4 > > absurd claim, this is not the place to post a two hundred page
5 > > explanation of how every last bit of the computer works, from
6 > > electrons upwards, in response to a simple question.
7 > >
8 > Yes because we really need to discuss transistor logic for this.
9
10 Right, in the same way we need to discuss package manager loading
11 internals for this.
12
13 > >> you keep making things much more personal than they need to be.
14 > >> I was discussing how and when that metadata is generated. As
15 > >> Harring pointed out, pkgcore does it at a _different_ point in
16 > >> time.
17 >
18 > Funny how that slipped by, isn't it?
19
20 What? I already mentioned how there were other obscure internals
21 factors related to the decision. There are all kinds of ways one could
22 do it. As it happens, I don't like the Pkgcore way primarily because it
23 directly encourages the kind of screwups that happened with the first
24 Pkgcore EAPI 2 attempt.
25
26 > (and no doubt your sekrit personality on the forums.)
27
28 Unlike you, I don't post from multiple accounts or pretending to be
29 several people. (As an aside: if you feel you must carry on calling me
30 a terrorist baby-munching communist or whatever it is this week, please
31 humour me and do it from the account with your real name on it.)
32
33 > I mean that crap you came out with about subshell die over a year
34 > ago, and the nonsense you spouted about trap on the dev m-l recently.
35
36 You mean the results of having several people try every solution in
37 depth, evaluate them against the way ebuilds are coded and come up
38 with the one that works?
39
40 > >> You mean the hackery one might use to detect whether a phase is
41 > >> needed?
42 > >
43 > > It won't, though, because the meaning of phases and phase functions
44 > > changes between EAPIs. Which is also something that's already been
45 > > covered.
46 > >
47 > IOW we need to consider the EAPI, which is what was being discussed
48 > on the technical list.
49
50 Yes, which is what my original reply (the one that got you so upset)
51 said in the first place.
52
53 > >> Hehe. You're good at that trick: you know full well I don't mean
54 > >> the .ebuild
55 > >
56 > > So, uh, if by "an ebuild" you don't mean "the .ebuild", what do you
57 > > mean? Kindly explain.
58 > >
59 > Work it out, genius.
60
61 I'm sorry, I can't work that out on my own. Please elucidate. Help me
62 to understand why you think PMS is wrong with its restrictions on phase
63 functions.
66 Ciaran McCreesh