From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 05:59:39
1 On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 1:32 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > 2. Every time a package is installed, or attempted to be installed, the
4 > exit of that installation is qualified in one of a number of ways:
5 >
6 > - installed OK without tests
7
8 While I think your proposal is a great one, I think this is actually
9 the biggest limitation. A lot of our packages (most?) don't actually
10 have tests that can be run on every build (most don't have tests, some
11 have tests that take forever to run or can't be used on a clean
12 install).
13
14 While runtime testing doesn't HAVE to be extensive, we do want
15 somebody to at least take a glance at it.
16
17 If everything you're proposing is just on top of what we're already
18 doing, then we have the issue that people aren't keeping up with the
19 current workload, and even if that report is ultra-nice it is actually
20 one more step than we have today. The workload would only go down if
21 a machine could look at the report and stabilize things without input
22 at least some of the time.
25 Rich