From: Nathan Zachary <nathanzachary@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 03:38:21
1 On 30/11/16 21:32, Sam Jorna (wraeth) wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2016-11-30 at 21:10 -0500, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 >>> So if I openly insult people of other nationalities or races on a
4 >>> regular
5 >>> basis on mailing lists or in chat, but I'm also a prolific Gentoo
6 >>> contributor; that is OK?
7 >> That depends on many factors, but to an extent yes it is OK because this
8 >> is a
9 >> technical project and needs people who are prolific contributors. Not
10 >> everyone
11 >> has good human relation skills. Does that mean they lack in technical?
12 > So if the recipient of one of those insults invokes a mediator, and the
13 > mediator says "This thing is bad, and this is why; don't do this thing", we
14 > can ignore them provided we've contributed more? How does that encourage
15 > people to participate - particularly, new participation - knowing that
16 > there is nothing they can do, bar leaving, to stop the derogatory remarks?
17 >
18 > Further, this has the potential to cause significant divisivness,
19 > flamewars, and even more bikeshedding.
20 >
21 I am immediately reminded of one of my favourite quotes for Denis Dupeyron:
22
23 "There is no amount of contribution that would compensate for even the
24 slightest inadequate behavior."