From: Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-10-14
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 01:25:28
1 On 10/11/2018 05:28 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 5:09 PM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> It does matter, at least in some other countries (non-US). Anyway I
5 >> doubt that even in US committer has right to change copyright
6 >> notice without author's approval.
9 > I actually couldn't find any law that explicitly forbids swapping
10 > names in a copyright notice in the US. It is illegal if you do it to
11 > conceal copyright infringement, but if you have a license to modify
12 > the work and redistribute it, and you respect all the licenses/etc,
13
14 [...]
17 > My thinking with the policy was to allow us to preserve these kinds of
18 > notices to avoid the issue, but the intent wasn't to keep grafting
19 > names onto them.
20 >
21 > As far as I can tell the Linux source code doesn't have any kind of
22 > consistent copyright notice use - it seems like whoever first
23 > contributes any random file picks whatever notice they want and it
24 > tends to not get touched after that.
25
26 [...]
27
28 >> It is virtually impossible to account for all authors of an ebuild,
29
30 > Why? We have git log. And we have "and others" clause to
31 > account > for trivial changes, e.g. if person making some
32 > mass-package trivial change, this may go to "and others".
33
34 --- end quotes ---
35
36 assuming "commit authors are copyright holders" shouldn't be
37 trusted blindly (the git log doesn't "solve everything")
38
39 ~ moving on:
40
41 There are valid ways to track copyrightable changes over the
42 course of many years. I see no reason why a sensible format
43 can't be adopted and used, rather than debating "what about"
44 situations and other hypothetical issues to justify...
45
46 "Simplified Attribution" - I've not seen case law on this.
47
48 Does this mean "gentoo authors" will appear in court when
49 there's infringement? This is not a rhetorical question.
50
51 ---
52
53 Using linux kernel as an example, MuQSS scheduler:
54
55 {tree:4.18-ck} /linux/kernel/sched/MuQSS.c
56
57 // SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
58 /*
59 * kernel/sched/MuQSS.c, was kernel/sched.c
60 *
61 * Kernel scheduler and related syscalls
62 *
63 * Copyright (C) 1991-2002 Linus Torvalds
64 *
65 * 1996-12-23 Modified by Dave Grothe to fix bugs in semaphores and
66 * make semaphores SMP safe
67 * 1998-11-19 Implemented schedule_timeout() and related stuff
68 * by Andrea Arcangeli
69 * 2002-01-04 New ultra-scalable O(1) scheduler by Ingo Molnar:
70 * hybrid priority-list and round-robin design with
71 * an array-switch method of distributing timeslices
72 * and per-CPU runqueues. Cleanups and useful suggestions
73 * by Davide Libenzi, preemptible kernel bits by Robert Love.
74 * 2003-09-03 Interactivity tuning by Con Kolivas.
75 * 2004-04-02 Scheduler domains code by Nick Piggin
76 * 2007-04-15 Work begun on replacing all interactivity tuning with a
77 * fair scheduling design by Con Kolivas.
78 * 2007-05-05 Load balancing (smp-nice) and other improvements
79 * by Peter Williams
80 * 2007-05-06 Interactivity improvements to CFS by Mike Galbraith
81 * 2007-07-01 Group scheduling enhancements by Srivatsa Vaddagiri
82 * 2007-11-29 RT balancing improvements by Steven Rostedt, Gregory
83 Haskins,
84 * Thomas Gleixner, Mike Kravetz
85 * 2009-08-13 Brainfuck deadline scheduling policy by Con Kolivas deletes
86 * a whole lot of those previous things.
87 * 2016-10-01 Multiple Queue Skiplist Scheduler scalable evolution of BFS
88 * scheduler by Con Kolivas.
89 */
90
91 This is a very useful notice, because if someone has a snapshot
92 tarball, or other non-git copy of particular source files, the
93 lack of a proper notice is a legal problem (see below)
94
95 This has been mentioned - it's technically true
96 (to some extent, at least in most jurisdictions)
97
98 ["copyright notices are not required for
99 a copyright holder to have a copyright"]
100
101 - This ignores the purpose: copyright notices are to make
102 sure when someone gets "free code", they don't assume it's
103 free for any/all purposes with zero restrictions:
104
105 the infringer could say the copyright status (copyleft
106 uses copyright law for enforcement) wasn't apparent due
107 to the lack of a clearly formatted copyright notice...
108
109 ... so something generic like "gentoo authors" can be
110 difficult to enforce - I've not seen case law on this.
111
112 ---
113
114 I believe licensing is the reason for GCO, not copyright
115 attribution. Language about committer, acked or signed-off,
116 and copyright holder VS licenses and GCO, all within the
117 same GLEP (#76) adds a lot of confusion because copyright
118 is barely mentioned, and not in a clearly defined way.
119
120 Copyright should be treated as a separate issue from GCO.
121
122 ---
123
124 US law was mentioned. Source code copyrights are under:
125
126 17 USC § 401 - Notice of copyright: Visually perceptible copies
127
128 ...
129
130 ["the name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an
131 abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a
132 generally known alternative designation of the owner"]
133
134 ...
135
136 ["If a notice of copyright in the form and position
137 specified by this section appears on the published copy
138 or copies to which a defendant in a copyright infringement
139 suit had access, then no weight shall be given to such a
140 defendant’s interposition of a defense based on innocent
141 infringement in mitigation of actual or statutory damages,
142 except as provided in the last sentence of section 504(c)(2)."]
143
144 ^ This is important. More non-rhetorical questions:
145
146 Do "gentoo authors" file a lawsuit when there's infringement?
147
148 How does jurisdiction work when the only thing which can
149 be known for certain is: "someone claimed the commit they
150 wrote was FOSS/Libre & they signed-off with a GCO line"
151
152 Does this mean GCO sign-off lines obligate the contributors
153 to respond whenever FOSS/Libre legal issues come up?
154
155 ---
156
157 Most, if not all SPDX-style headers (which lists the specific
158 names of specific copyright holders) are in a format which
159 resembles what US copyrights law needs. it's wrong to claim:
160
161 ["a generally known alternative designation of the owner"]
162
163 ... is <legal name> generally know as: "gentoo authors" ?
164
165 (<legal name> is more likely to have a unique trade name,
166 and the uniqueness of it is what makes it legal. stripping
167 valid copyright notices and putting in something vague in
168 its place - that idea needs a proper legal review)
169
170 If there was a FLA policy in place, and gentoo formally held
171 itself out to protect (as a fiduciary) any FOSS/Libre interests
172 of the contributors; gentoo needs to hold the copyright, and
173 more importantly: invest in policy and planning to legally
174 protect FOSS/Libre interests when any infringement occurs.
175
176 the protection should be proper: a real entity. changing
177 the language from foundation to authors and treating it
178 like it's still a copyright assignment is pointless
179 unless the simplified attribution still assigns the
180 copyright to the gentoo foundation hold copyright.
181
182 ~ this is unclear ~
183
184 If the gentoo foundation IS NOT the copyright holder...
185
186 the generic (simplified) attribution as: "gentoo authors"
187
188 ["...in the form and position specified by this section"]
189
190 ^ 17 USC § 401 generally expects a real entity (which can
191 be a natural person or legal entity / organization) to
192 hold copyright.
193
194 ["the name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an
195 abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a
196 generally known alternative designation of the owner"]
197
198 ~ "gentoo authors" (contributors) deserve peace of mind.
199
200 ---
201
202 TL;DR
203
204 GLEP 76 shouldn't try to be an umbrella for multiple things.
205
206 ~ as bircoph said: ["... creating additional barriers due to
207 vague and bureaucratic reasons."] - (it's a great quote)
208
209 ---
210
211 { apology for mixing / summarizing multiple quotes, I tried
212 my best, but inline replies are too confusing to proofread,
213 especially when multiple authors are being quoted. this is
214 actually my 10th draft I've been working on this for hours,
215 and it's still pretty rough. I tried. }