From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Re: PMS
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:43:17
1 On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 07:17 +0000, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:31:38 +0000
5 > > Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 > >> I agree that the EAPI is not fixed until it's agreed and implemented
7 > >> by portage. The PMS thing seems extraneous to Gentoo needs atm; it's
8 > >> more to enable other projects to interoperate with the tree. It
9 > >> certainly wasn't needed for pkgcore imo.
10 > >
11 > > Erm. You need to learn the relationship between EAPI and PMS.
12 > >
13 > > PMS describes EAPIs 0 and 1, and will describe any future EAPIs once
14 > > they're agreed upon.
15 > >
16 > It does a bit more than that. And like I said, that's extraneous to Gentoo
17 > needs, and is in fact only really needed for Paludis, not pkgcore and
18 > certainly not portage development.
19 >
20 > The last Council made that clear when they took the PMS in-house due to the
21 > lack of progress:
22 > <wolf31o2|work> Gentoo has no need for a PMS if we're only supporting
23 > portage... it was written pretty much exclusively to allow external package
24 > managers to be on the same page as portage
25 > <kingtaco|work> it's possible that any PMS is of primary use for external
26 > projects and perhaps we don't need to involve ourselves
27 > <robbat2> i see the goal of PMS as allowing external PMs to be supported in
28 > Gentoo
31 Well, you've awakened me with this. I must have missed that exchange,
32 but that's silly. PMS is a specification and is useful for anyone who
33 works with packages, regardless of package manager. Or for any new
34 portage developers for that matter. It's easier for everyone if the
35 behavior of any package manager you choose (portage or pkgcore or
36 paludis or ...) is defined by a specification rather than by just what
37 the code does.
38
39 > I wonder how far you'd get with trying to, say, supplant rpm in RedHat, or
40 > apt in debian. Surely they must be crying out for a next-gen PM? Oh yeah,
41 > you need the Gentoo devs to maintain ebuilds or paludis won't work.
42 >
43 > <kingtaco|work> no, the discussion on -dev ml defines eapi bumps
44 >
45 > Having a spec isn't an issue: the issue is having it developed as a
46 > mainstream Gentoo project, with open discussion. Frankly you're not very
47 > good at that, in so far as your manner does not invite discussion; you've
48 > made it quite clear that you think many of the devs (whose work your
49 > project relies on), let alone the users, are "idiots".
50 >
51 I don't know that it matters where it comes from; what matters is that
52 it is correct. I understand that this statement probably puts me on the
53 fringe.
54
55 Regards,
56 Ferris
57 --
58 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
59 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc, Userrel)