From: Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] New research: Gentoo Portage Package Dependencies
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 10:24:52
1 Hello,
2
3 Recently I found that there's a new research on Gentoo, specifically
4 for Portage and package dependencies[1].
5
6 -- Authors --
7 Remco Bloemen, Chintan Amrit, Stefan Kuhlmann, Gonzalo
8 Ordóñez–Matamoros -- University of Twente
9
10 -- Abstract --
11 "Open source distributions such as Gentoo need to accurately track
12 dependency relations between software packages in order to install
13 working systems. To do this, Gentoo has a carefully authored database
14 containing those relations. In this paper, we extract the Gentoo
15 package dependency graph and its changes over time. The final
16 dependency graph spans 15 thousand open source projects and 80
17 thousand dependency relations. Furthermore, the development of this
18 graph is tracked over time from the beginning of the Gentoo project in
19 2000 to the first quarter of 2012, with monthly resolution. We perform
20 a cluster analyses of the package dependency graph that reveal
21 meaningful relations among packages, and in a separate paper we
22 analyse changes in the dependencies over time to get insights in the
23 innovation dynamics of open source software. The resulting dataset
24 provides many opportunities for both research on Open Source as well
25 as practice."
26
27 The research paper is going to be presented in the 11th Working
28 Conference on Mining Software Repositories[2].
29
30 [1] http://www.researchgate.net/publication/261100411_Gentoo_Portage_Package_Dependencies
31
32 [2] http://2014.msrconf.org/program.php