From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Appeals of Moderation Decisions
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 06:45:10
1 On 02/04/19 00:39, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2019-02-03 at 23:56 -0500, desultory wrote:
3 >> On 02/03/19 07:23, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>> Dnia February 3, 2019 11:44:19 AM UTC, "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> napisał(a):
5 >>>> Am Sonntag, 3. Februar 2019, 05:22:09 CET schrieb desultory:
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>> ComRel, as I have previously mentioned, engages in some extremely
8 >>>>> questionable practices, though (again) to their credit at least they
9 >>>>> admit it.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> And parts of forums should rather go away sooner than later, given how
12 >>>> even
13 >>>> moderators take part in highly questionable threads. That mess also
14 >>>> reflects
15 >>>> on Gentoo as a whole.
16 >>>
17 >>> Given how separatist Forums tend to be, and how heavy they are on infra hardware (not to mention poor security record), maybe the best way forward would be to stop running official forums, and let forums team maintain their private universe of their own pockets.
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> So suggesting that others should fulfill their roles before attempting
21 >> to subsume other's roles is now "separatist" instead of "sensible"?
22 >
23 > No. I believe that having a number of developers who practically never
24 > participate in Gentoo in other topics than directly related to Forums
25 > and who show up only whenever somebody else 'peeks their nose in' to
26 > make sure nothing ever changes is separatist.
27 >
28 The correct term for your straw team would be isolationist
29 [def:isolationist] not separatist [def:separatist]. Regardless, your
30 straw team is indeed just that: a fictional dummy for you to besmirch
31 which has no relation to reality. Even though several members of the
32 forums project are members of no other project others are, and I would
33 hardly count being a project lead as uninvolved in their other project.
34 Even aside from that forums project members regularly assist ebuild
35 developers, recruited and not, in #gentoo-dev-help. And, in case you
36 missed it, also provide one of the two forms of user support actually
37 provided by Gentoo, which happens to involve some amount of interaction
38 with the user community. So the forums team is hardly a group of hermits
39 in a hollow somewhere "who show up only whenever somebody else 'peeks
40 their nose in'".
41
42 As for the " to make sure nothing ever changes" part of your
43 characterization, for one change for its own sake is pointless, for
44 another positive changes would be quite welcomed. The test server which
45 we had been promised some time ago would be a lovely positive change,
46 and it needn't even be on additional hardware.
47
48 Still, thank you for making it clear that you are trolling because of
49 another of your failed proposals [reporting] which I had pointed out
50 was, in the form you proposed, impractical and I had even suggested how
51 it could be amended to be practical while you even then engaged in
52 trolling. It seems that things would work much more smoothly around you
53 if you were to disabuse yourself of the notion that it is incumbent upon
54 others, whether myself or anyone else, to fix, or worse implement
55 without fixing, anything that you propose.
56
57 Also, your prior characterization of the forums and "how heavy they are
58 on infra hardware" is distinctly curious in itself, as the hosting
59 provider where the forums are hosted specifically donated usage of the
60 hardware, hosting and upgrades specifically for the forums, and indeed
61 had as their one condition for the services of the four machines
62 initially donated was to have mention of their hosting service in the
63 page footer on the forums. Of the four systems originally *dedicated* to
64 the forums, three provide *any* forums services, while the other
65 provides front end services for other projects. This description leaving
66 out upgrades and such. So much for that characterization as well.
67
68 > And pointing CoC out at everybody who dares state disagreeing beliefs
69 > with you isn't helping any fruitful discussion. Pretty much sounds like
70 > attempting to silence dissuading opinions, again to make sure nothing
71 > ever changes and Forums are beyond regular Gentoo 'politics'.
72 >
73 If so, more's the pity.
74
75 You might have noticed that I pointed to the CoC when individuals made
76 comments which were materially counter to it, such as when a sitting
77 member of the council complained of how part of the forums reflects on
78 gentoo as a whole, then proceeded to make comments which were themselves
79 flaming and trolling, which itself does indeed reflect badly on Gentoo.
80 That being aside from the "nuked from orbit" comment which if taken as
81 being explicitly referential to the most common source [aliens] of that
82 meme would be openly libelous of everyone who has so much as posted
83 there, though it has become a common vernacular phrase which is largely
84 just a call for removal and is hardly even an emphatic form anymore.
85 Even his comment about the forums feeling like the evil mirror universe
86 would have been passable if he cited a reason, without that it is base
87 trolling and should be recognized for what it is.
88
89 If you want to argue a point, please do. If you can actually demonstrate
90 that I am wrong, by all means *convince* me. Just making sloppy,
91 unsupported arguments is not helping anyone.
92
93 [def:isolationist] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/isolationist
94 [def:separatist] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/separatist
95 [reporting]