From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: jmbsvicetto@g.o
Subject: [OT] Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call For Agenda Items - 13 May 2014
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 20:25:05
1 On Mon, 12 May 2014 19:13:26 +0000 (UTC)
2 "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This is the basis to "putting words in somone's mouth".
5
6 This is a language barrier.
7
8 That's not my intention, I just want to provide context to the reader;
9 the words have not been changed, I don't see how else I would have
10 brought that back in the mail. Feel free to send me an example for
11 that, such that I can consider to do it properly in the future; I don't
12 see the problem in bringing back a quote depth, how else can I quote it?
13
14 Consider the opposite, if I were to not quote that sentence from you;
15 would a reader still know that I talk about that sentence in particular?
16
17 Quotes can't capture too much, they also can't capture too little; they
18 need to capture just enough, as that makes it easiest to follow along.
19
20 Can we document it in the ML etiquette, to improve future communication?
21
22 In this case I've quoted one depth because that's the most convenient
23 to read; while I could've quoted two (+ Tom) or three (+ Tom + Jer)
24 depths, in the other thread in question we were talking about something
25 that was already four depths which I considered as accidentally removed.
26
27 If it wasn't an accident; then, it indeed is ad nauseam. But that's
28 hard to tell if you can't read the other person's mind; it would be
29 easier to have a conversation in person, as it is easier to tell.
30
31 Given that this is no longer on-topic, besides this clarification, I'll
32 make no further replies here. Rereading your mail; if I understood it
33 correctly, I'll do my best to add a [Extra quote depth quoted] note
34 near the quote in the future. It is my mistake. Thank you very much.
37 With kind regards,
38
39 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
40 Gentoo Developer
41
42 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
43 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
44 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D