From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: proxy-maint@g.o, swegener@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Official rsync2git for syncing & pull requests
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 23:33:01
1 Hello, developers.
2
3 Since the mighty git migration is getting delayed once again, I would
4 like to finally set some temporary measures to at least make Gentoo
5 semi-livable for our users. In particular, I would like to make
6 an official rsync2git mirror that would be updated from our rsync
7 as often as possible, serving both as a base for efficient user syncing
8 and pull requests.
9
10 While I initially wanted to establish something new, swegener has told
11 me he is running such a thing already for a long time [1]. So what I'd
12 like to do instead is moving swegener's repo to gentoo/ and possibly
13 adding a short doc explaining that it's not the gentoo-x86 repo but
14 just a mirror, how often it's updated and how one can contribute.
15
16 As for the contribution process, usual pull requests are the way to go.
17 Of course, developers must not ever merge them directly to the repo.
18 Instead, they need to be pulled locally, reviewed and re-committed to
19 CVS. This can be done either by the relevant maintainer (if he cares)
20 or by a dedicated team who proxies between contributors and other
21 developers.
22
23 The question is: do we need a new team for that, or does one of
24 the existing teams want to handle it? proxy-maintainers?
25
26 [1]:https://github.com/swegener/gentoo-portage
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny