From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:56:31
1 On 02/05/2015 12:31 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 11:21:37 -0500
3 > Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I'll start with the silliest:
5 >>
6 >> Explain briefly the purpose of the following tools: grep, cut, sed,
7 >> cat, wc, awk
8 >
9 > This is in no way silly when viewed in its proper historical context. It
10 > was added because before the quiz existed, someone recruited a couple of
11 > developers for Gentoo/Alt who didn't know what grep was, and they broke
12 > the tree in a horrific way.
15 There are a lot of things that a candidate needs to know before he
16 becomes a developer, and this is one of them. My point is, is this
17 question an effective filter? No, because given unlimited time and
18 access to Google (or `man`), my mother could give you a satisfactory
19 answer. It's silly because it's pointless.