From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] William Hubbs council manifesto 2018-2019
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 20:34:42
1 On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 02:23:02PM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 2:15 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 17/06/18 19:07, Alec Warner wrote:
8 > > On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 1:37 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > >> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 1:26 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
11 > >> wrote:
12 > >> >
13 > >> > My opinion though is we should give the trustees time to catch up
14 > >> >
15 > >>
16 > >> How much time? We're 14 years in, and Robin has been working on the
17 > >> books for a few years I think. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the
18 > >> work he is doing, but I'm not convinced it is a one-person project,
19 > >> and it doesn't end when the past is caught up.
20 > >>
21 > >
22 > > I'm fairly confident we can fix the current tax problems (in the end, its
23 > > a problem we can solve with money, and we have some money.)
24 > > I'm less convinced the non-profit yields any value over other
25 > > alternatives, and so from an effort-basis I feel its necessary to wind down
26 > > and replace
27 > > with something else.
28
29 It sounds like this is the track to pursue. Vote forantarus as a trustee
30 and make it happen.
34 > >>
35 > >> >
36 > >> > Once that happens, I think it is better to work with them to choose the
37 > >> > future path since they own the Gentoo trademark, name, logo etc [1].
38 > >> >
39 > >>
40 > >> Working with somebody isn't the same as deferring everything to them.
41
42 Sure, but when did I say defer everything to them?
43
44 > >>
45 > >> The problem with leaving the fate of the Foundation entirely to the
46 > >> Trustees is that there is a lot of selection bias at work. Trustees
47 > >> are a bunch of individuals selected for their interest in running a
48 > >> non-profit (for the most part, simply volunteering for the post is
49 > >> sufficient to be voted in). Should we be surprised when they advocate
50 > >> for continuing to run a non-profit?
51 > >>
52 > >
53 > > I really don't think this is true. Its explicitly not true for me. I was a
54 > > trustee because there were open slots and someone had to 'keep the lights
55 > > on.'
56 > > Other people who ran for the board have expressed similar sentiments. I am
57 > > running again in the next election on a platform of dissolution (closing
58 > > the foundation) which is again contrary to your argument. There is no point
59 > > in continuing to run a non-profit that continues to nominally accrue risk
60 > > with little or no upside. Eventually it will become so toxic that you will
61 > > be unable to find anyone to run it (some may say this has already begun to
62 > > happen.) This is evident partially by the board's reduction in numbers.
63 > > Previously the board had 13 seats, then 7, then 5. I'm not superbly
64 > > confident we will be able to fill 5 seats in the next election.
65
66 Rich, this argument makes no sense.
70 > >> There is also no need to wait for the Foundation to fix everything
71 > >> before working on a path forward. Just as individuals can use their
72 > >> own property to work on Gentoo-related projects, or donate their own
73 > >> money to the Gentoo Foundation, so other entities can use their own
74 > >> property to work on Gentoo-related projects, or donate their money to
75 > >> the Foundation.
76 > >>
77 > >
78 > > I think some of the conflict is a result of communication style (America v
79 > > European) and also the internet-based communication methods we use to meet
80 > > and converse with each other. I've often pitched something else (audio or
81 > > video) but have never reached consensus. This isn't to discount the actual
82 > > area of conflict (e.g. Finances) but how ones communicate ones ideas
83 > > matters a fair bit.
84
85 This makes sense too.
86
87 > > -A
90 > >>
91 > >> --
92 > >> Rich
93 > >>
94 > >>
95 > > Just to avoid confusion, Alex, are you talking about dissolving the
96 > > organisation that is Gentoo Foundation, Inc. as a non-profit corporation,
97 > > or completely eradicating the Board, Trustees and Officers such that the
98 > > day-to-day organisational aspects of Gentoo either moves to the Council
99 > > (*shudders*) or to another organisation entirely, with whatever baggage
100 > > that ensues?!
103 > I mean the New Mexico Non-profit corporation would be dissolved. If Gentoo
104 > continued to want to own its trademarks and raise funds, those functions
105 > would have to be moved elsewhere. This is typically where an umbrella (SPI,
106 > SFLC, or similar) organization comes in handy; but I don't intend to be
107 > prescriptive at this time in terms of what the next steps are. Obviously we
108 > have to figure that out prior to dissolution (because the Articles of
109 > dissolution specify where assets go.)
110 >
111 > -A