From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev-announce <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Main post
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 00:37:04
1 One of the decisions of the last council meeting [1] was that we will
2 refresh GLEP 39 [2]. This came from the discussions on voting by email
3 and the realization that making this happen would constitute a change
4 of GLEP 39 which requires an all-developer vote. We decided that if we
5 had to set up an all-developer vote then we'd rather make it worth our
6 while and make a certain number of changes that have been in the air
7 for some time.
8
9 The council will end up doing the rewriting but I proposed that we all
10 discussed a certain number of topics before that happens. The idea is
11 the more the new text fits the developers' needs and wishes the better
12 the chances will be for it to be useful and to last a while. I have
13 gathered a list of topics from various sources (see below). The goal
14 is to have that done and voted before the next council elections.
15
16 Each topic below will have its own thread so that we can discuss them
17 independently. I have grouped some topics when it made sense they were
18 discussed together. If you want to add a topic simply reply to this
19 thread and we'll add it or merge it with another.
20
21 - Voting by email, proxies and slacker rule. [3]
22
23 - Should the new text be a GLEP, or something else? [4]
24
25 - Does the council need a lead? [5]
26
27 - Do we want to make changes to the role of the council? [6]
28
29 - List various minor fixes to the current text. [7]
30
31 - Voting the new text, schedule and practical issues. [8]
32
33 As usual I will avoid posting my opinion on these topics too early in
34 the process so as not to bias discussions.
35
36 Denis.
37
38 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20100308-summary.txt