From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Spoofing on list -> Infra response re SPF
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 21:52:29
1 On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 02:50:30PM -0500, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > > Infra does maintain an SPF page as well.
3 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/SPF
4 > What does infra use to validate SPF records?
5 Postfix, Amavis, SpamAssassin are all used for validation paths
6 presently.
7
8 Lists operate on a principle to encourage as much open communication as
9 possible, while blocking actual spam.
10
11 > Unless Gentoo wants to allow spoofing via email on lists as I did on accident
12 > the first time and on purpose the 2nd.
13 The accident I'm willing for forgive, but that you went and repeated it
14 shows a potential for malicious intent.
15
16 Any further instance will be raised to comrel.
17
18 > Spoofing should not be allowed at all on
19 > lists. I should not be able to pose as a Gentoo Developer or another on any
20 > Gentoo mailing lists.
21 Your forgeries got a +1 point from SpamAssassin, due to the SPF per-user
22 ~all rule, but was otherwise sufficiently legitimate, and was permitted.
23
24 Why did your mail server (mail1.obsidian-studios.com) allow the
25 forgeries to be sent? Even as an authenticated client allowed to relay
26 email, it should be checking the envelope sender (and ideally the From
27 header inside the email as well).
28
29 > Also why is GPG signing no longer required?
30 OpenPGP signing of email has NEVER been required by any technical means.
31 It HAS been strongly recommended. Unsigned mails ARE permitted, because
32 OpenPGP isn't always appropriate or available:
33 - mobile mail clients have terrible or non-existent OpenPGP support
34 - not wanting OpenPGP keys on a mobile device
35 - developers who participate in email from their work systems, without
36 their Gentoo OpenPGP keys present on those systems.
37 - automated mails to lists (like the weekly package/add removal notice,
38 or the lots-of-bugs-need-wranging notice).
39
40 > That alone can help ensure emails are coming from who they say they are. Not
41 > sure how I was able to sign an email with an email not part of my GPG key. Not
42 > sure if that is kmail bug or by design.
43 Your MUA should have issued a warning, but it's not an error in any way.
46 Robin Hugh Johnson
47 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
48 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
49 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
50 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136