From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Question for 2020 council candidates: Dev recruitment status
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 11:43:27
1 This is the yearly repeating question: How do you view the current
2 recruitment status in Gentoo?
3
4 In your opinion...
5  - are we getting enough new devs on board?
6  - does the current recruitment system work?
7  - can the current devbase handle "everything" (we have a lot of
8 low-manned projects)? If not, how could council aid in?
9  - why do we have hundreds of contributors who'll never become devs? (is
10 there a problem in "marketing", or is the recruitment process too hard,
11 or something else?)
12  - should council stay away from this topic, and leave every decision to
13 recruiters? (If I remember correctly, recruiters project were dropped to
14 1 person because they had internal issues deciding how to handle future
15 recruitment). I'm also asking this because I have a suggestion to renew
16 recruitment process a bit. Should I post my suggestion to -core for
17 every dev to see, -project for everyone to see, or contact recruiters
18 who can silently approve/disapprove/modify my suggestion, without anyone
19 else knowing what I suggested?
20
21 Below are some stats I dug up, and expect no reply.
22
23 From git log:
24  - 2018 we had 8 new tree-access devs,
25  - 2019 we had 5 new tree-access devs,
26  - 2020 we've had 0, and publically 1 candidate can be found.
27
28 Disclaimer: I don't wish to belittle devs without commit access, it's
29 just harder to find their recruit dates.
30
31 Looking at recent git activity, we seem to have ~90-100 active devs
32 working regularily on ::gentoo tree. And currently ~30 somewhat
33 inactiveish devs. ~+15 000 packages.
34
35 Disclaimer: I don't have any distrust towards recruiters. I want to know
36 our nominees thoughts on this subject.
37
38 -- juippis