From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] RFC: Dropping rsync as a tree distribution method
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 04:16:02
Hi,

I am currently embarking on a plan to redo our existing rsync[0] mirror
network. The current network has aged a bit. Its likely too large and is
under-maintained. I think in the ideal case we would instead pivot this
project to scaling out our git mirror capabilities and slowly migrate all
consumers to pulling the git tree directly. To that end, I'm looking for
blockers as to why various customers cannot switch to pulling the gentoo
ebuild repository from git[1] instead of rsync.

So for example:

- bandwidth concerns (preferably with documentation / data.)
- Firewall concerns
- CPU concerns (e.g. rsync is great for tiny systems?)
- Disk usage for git vs rsync
- Other things i have not thought of.

-A

[0] This excludes emerge-webrsync; which I don't plan on touching.
[1] Rich talked about some downsides earlier at
https://lwn.net/Articles/759539/; but while these are challenges (some
fixable) they are not necessarily blockers.