From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Metastructure: reorganization
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 06:46:12
1 >>>>> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, Andreas K Huettel wrote:
2
3 > Actually for asking this question you've picked the best example...
4
5 > Imagine the poor KDE guys sorting out the language bindings for
6 > Ruby, Python, Java, and C#. Each comes with its own approach to
7 > solve the same problems, and with its own completely disjunct eclass
8 > syntax.
9
10 > Imagine updating your system after a while and then remembering that
11 > you need to run python-cleaner and perl-updater (and what was the
12 > syntax there again?).
13
14 > Maybe there isn't too much overlap right now, but people talking to
15 > each other would certainly help, and the problems are certainly
16 > related.
17
18 > This is the most important thing, and similar ideas also apply to
19 > the two other proposals. (PR, CoC enforcement and Ops are certainly
20 > related tasks?)
21
22 The key question is if it is reasonable to organise things as a common
23 project. This only makes sense if devs of the (to be) subprojects are
24 working together to some degree. For example, do they have a common
25 mailing list? (Turns out that in case of programming languages there
26 is gentoo-dev-lang, but it seems to be inactive.) It is perfectly fine
27 if people want to work together and organise themselves under an
28 umbrella TLP. However, I don't expect that creating such a structure
29 artificially would work, unless there is initiative from the projects
30 themselves.
31
32 Also the council has no power to decree a new project structure.
33 GLEP 39 says that projects organise themselves, so we cannot force any
34 project to convert itself from a TLP to a subproject. This would also
35 mean that some of the language projects (like Common Lisp and Scheme)
36 would be downgraded to third level.
37
38 > There's two additional motivations from my side.
39
40 > One is my stereotypical German preference for cleanlyness and order.
41 > Or maybe it's just that part of leaving a professional impression is
42 > also that you don't just have a messy list of unordered projects.
43
44 That can be solved without introducing additional organisational
45 structures. For example, by arranging the project list by some
46 categories instead of alphabetical.
47
48 > The other one is that on the long run we might reconsider the role
49 > of umbrella project leads. I'm not so sure yet what we should do
50 > there though... Strengthen, give them tasks? some loose oversight
51 > that subprojects follow formalities? Abandon?
52
53 Just ask them what they see as their role, and if the umbrella project
54 is functional.
55
56 Ulrich