From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: ulm@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:14:15
1 On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:25:19 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Should we have a stricter rule? Would such a rule help significantly
5 > reducing the number of EAPI 0 ebuilds?
6
7 I'm not sure if that could help. The problem is with people and not
8 with rules, and I think that if we try to force a stricter rule
9 on people, they will simply disobey it.
10
11 The problem is that some people actually believe that keeping stuff
12 in EAPI 0 is going to help people upgrading. And they don't accept
13 the fact that the upgrade path has been broken already and there's
14 no real point in refusing to use newer features just to keep it
15 a little less broken.
16
17 That said, I'm hoping that EAPI 5 profiles could change something.
18 But I feel like some people will still oppose, assuming people will
19 create custom profiles or something like that just to try to update
20 their system.
21
22 And I think our docs still don't mention how to upgrade
23 from an ancient system. I've opened a bug suggesting to use chroot
24 for that some time ago but haven't heard on it since. That said, I think
25 we need a team of dedicated doc-writers.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny