From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-04-10
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:40:20
1 On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 2:59 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 05:29:07 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> > 2) While git pull is much faster on a decent connection than rsync,
7 >> > metadata generation is damn slow, especially on older systems. On
8 >> > my Atom it takes several hours which is unacceptable. Please note
9 >> > I'm not talking about ChangeLogs generation, I meant metadata
10 >> > directory requires for portage and many tools (like eix) to work
11 >> > properly.
12 >>
13 >> I don't think anybody has proposed ditching rsync metadata - just the
14 >> Changelogs at this point.
15 >
16 > Please see Mattehew's e-mail I replied to:
17
18 There is no need to have a local copy if you don't want one. Just use
19 one of the many available web-based front ends.
22 >> However, there is a git mirror that contains metadata:
23 >> https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
24 >
25 > Thanks, I wasn't aware that it contains metadata. Can we have the
26 > same on our infra?
27
28 No objections from me - by all means go ahead!
31 Rich