From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 13:43:42
1 On February 12, 2018 2:17:51 PM EST, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
3 >wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
5 >wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Daniel Robbins
8 ><drobbins@××××××.org>
9 >>> wrote:
10 >>> >
11 >>> > Ironically, being open and responsive to tinfoil-esque comments
12 >actually
13 >>> > will do a great deal to dispel tinfoil-esque paranoia going
14 >forward.
15 >>> >
16 >>>
17 >>> While that seems like a reasonable hypothesis, I fear that it isn't
18 >>> well-established with data.
19 >>>
20 >>> In any case I support being open just to be open, and so far the
21 >>> people who have been in dual-roles have chosen to recuse themselves,
22 >>> so this seems mostly like a hypothetical argument.
23 >>
24 >> I'd prefer an option to opt out rather than a mandatory stepping
25 >down, but I
26 >> am not outright opposed to it. I have no gory details of naughty
27 >things
28 >> guiding my viewpoint, just trusting that if WilliamH has concerns,
29 >others
30 >> probably do too.
33 >To be clear, I prefer the status quo, which is that Council members
34 >can recuse themselves if they want to but are under no obligation to
35 >do so. I was just pointing out that since everybody is already doing
36 >this who would be affected a policy change wouldn't have much
37 >practical effect.
40 You make a lot of bold claims. If only they were true. There is definitely one council member who has said they WILL NOT recuse themselves from a council vote if a conflict arose. They even went on to quote the lack of policy forcing them to recuse themselves.
41
42 >Personally I disagree with the decisions of these Council members to
43 >recuse themselves, and if I were ever in that position I would not
44 >recuse myself unless I had personal involvement in the case. I don't
45 >see it coming up anytime soon, not least of which because I'm
46 >currently on none of the affected teams.
47 >
48 >But, one of the benefits of democracy is that we get to shoot
49 >ourselves in the foot if we prefer... :)
52 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.