From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Clarify language of GLEP 39
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 13:00:51
1 On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 21:58:03 +0900
2 Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Sunday, January 15, 2017 9:28:17 PM JST, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 4:10 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
5 > > wrote:
6 > >>>>>>> On Sat, 14 Jan 2017, Doug Freed wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >>> Therefore, I'm specifically asking the council to remove the
9 > >>> ambiguity in the language and pick one clear meaning.
10 > >>
11 > >> The council has no jurisdiction over GLEP 39 and cannot change its
12 > >> wording. GLEP 39 defines our metastructure, including the council
13 > >> itself, and was approved by an all devs vote.
14 > >>
15 > >
16 > > While this thought did occur to me, the topic seems trivial enough
17 > > that it would be silly to have a constitutional crisis over it. All
18 > > the deliberations over the Trustees/Council/SPI stuff might fall
19 > > into that category, but what to do over projects that lack a lead?
20 > >
21 > > And if we did decide that we don't want to touch it, that basically
22 > > leaves us in a de facto situation where projects don't need to
23 > > elect a
24 >
25 > So, I am not quite sure what you mean by whether the council gets to
26 > "decide" if they want to touch the topic or not. You don't really
27 > have a choice in the matter. Ulrich's facts were quite clear.
28 >
29 > Are you under the delusion that you and the council get to choose
30 > such things?
31 >
32 > It seems the developer community at large may need to revisit and
33 > vote on such a change for GLEP39. Assuming it is deemed important
34 > enough to pursue.
35
36 The Council has already amended GLEP 39 without a wider vote... What
37 makes you think they can't decide to do so again?
40 Ciaran McCreesh