From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] 2021 Trustees election
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 14:39:27
1 On Wed, 2021-07-07 at 10:26 -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 07:51:19PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 6:50 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 06:12:42PM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Yes, I would specifically like some information on the progress and
8 > > next steps towards dissolving the Foundation.
11 > As stated, taxes had to be fixed first which was the focus of the
12 > Foundation this past year. Those elected will likely (I can't speak for
13 > everyone) continue to push their agendas this year to dissolve or not.
16 > > So what's happening with the progress of dissolving the Foundation? I
17 > > think it's impossible to tell with the information currently
18 > > available.
21 > Maybe Alec (antarus) will answer this as it was his initiative, but his
22 > response will likely be about resolving the tax situation first.
23 >
24 > > Are you instead interested in the Foundation moving from a 501(c)6 to
25 > > a 501(c)3 so that donations are tax deductible? If so, have you done
26 > > anything to work towards that?
29 > We are not a 501(c)6 and never have been. We also have never been a
30 > 501(c)3 as the original board members never completed the paperwork.
31 >
32 > Yes, I have and continue to advocate for us becoming a 501(c)3. The one
33 > issue we have to overcome is the "public support test" of donations
34 > which can cause issues with the IRS granting such status. This is the
35 > only barrier, IMHO, to keeping the foundation and Gentoo's autonomy
36 > alive.
39 You seem to be entirely ignoring the fact that someone actually has to
40 do the accounting and paperwork. Just because Robin is spending
41 the little time he has on it doesn't mean we have to force him into
42 doing it forever. And all the research we've done before proves that
43 there are no other good volunteers capable of doing it, and commercial
44 accounting services would eat a significant part of Gentoo's donations
45 (definitely more than what the 'most expensive' umbrellas charge).
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny