From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Docs Team <docs-team@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] improving alternative PM support in gentoo
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 07:26:44
1 On 16 August 2015 at 01:24, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > My aim would be that all our main support channels like #gentoo, the
3 > user mailing lists, the forums and so on treat user discussions
4 > regarding alternative package managers in (almost) the same way as Portage.
5
6 Since most Gentoo users (and I include the developers here) have
7 little to no experience with those alternatives, they can't be
8 expected to answer specific support questions about them. Of course we
9 can always refer to our wiki, and apply general principles (PMS in the
10 case of package manager functioning).
11
12 > That also means that we would have to integrate these alternatives in
13 > our documentation, hopefully the official one. Because I think our
14 > official documentation should discuss package managers in the same way
15 > it discusses file systems. So, it is fine to recommend e.g. Portage and
16 > ext4 as the main examples, but we should also mention zfs, btrfs,
17 > Paludis, Pkgcore (when it catches up) and so on.
18 > In the case of Paludis, the upstream documentation[4] is quite technical
19 > and doesn't give a concise enough introduction for Gentoo beginners, who
20 > want to follow a step-by-step guide. Because of that, I have written up
21 > such a guide and proposed it to be included in the official Gentoo
22 > handbook[5][6].
23
24 The wiki is now our official documentation, and there is plenty of
25 space for any guides you wish to add.
26
27 But I would like to keep the Handbook as such simple. It is
28 overwhelming enough as it is, for newcomers, so let's not overload it
29 with explanations of alternatives. I think we should just offer one
30 default path, and point to alternatives that are documented in other
31 parts of the wiki. (This should also be done, for example, with the
32 part about LILO.)
35 Cheers,
36
37 Ben | yngwin