From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Setting a consistent vocabulary for ebuild-related stuff
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 17:12:48
1 Dnia 2015-04-11, o godz. 12:48:18
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 04/10/2015 09:28 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Hello, developers.
6 > >
7 > > Since Gentoo is quite an aging technical community, a lot of wording
8 > > has accumulated to describe various ebuild-related aspects, some of it
9 > > rather confusing and/or outdated. Therefore, I would like to suggest
10 > > that we establish some 'proper' vocabulary for use in official
11 > > documentation, and deprecate some of the outdated concepts.
12 >
13 > +1
16 > > - When referring to other repositories, you can call them 'third-party
17 > > repositories' or alike. No point in calling them 'overlays' since
18 > > they are not laid over anything anymore.
21 > This is probably going to be the most controversial thing. Most overlays
22 > are still overlaid on something (masters=foo in layout.conf), but it's
23 > not a big deal. Calling them all repos or ebuild repos is actually
24 > simpler, but everyone is so used to calling them overlays it might take
25 > a while.
26
27 No, they're really not. They inherit various stuff from masters but not
28 really the logic you would expect from 'overlay'.
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny