From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 02:27:04
1 On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 07:25:52PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 6:22 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 *snip*
7 > > My proposal is saying that if you have a version of a package in ~,
8 > > testing is being done, and at the end of the testing period (30 days at
9 > > most), that new version in ~ should move to stable if there are no
10 > > blockers. It would be up to you, the maintainer, or any users running
11 > > the ~ version, to test and file bugs that block stabilization. These
12 > > bugs could be detected automatically.
15 > I'm mostly fine with that, but I'd add just a requirement that
16 > somebody does a quick sanity check on an otherwise-stable system. The
17 > 30 days of testing is really only testing against dependencies that
18 > are in ~arch. Granted, that will become less of a concern if all
19 > those dependencies are also making their way to stable.
20
21 Repoman will complain loudly if you try to stabilize something that
22 doesn't have all of its reverse dependencies stabilized, so I think we
23 are safe as long as people listen to repoman. I'm not advocating
24 stabilizing things with ~ reverse dependencies, just trying to find a
25 way to move stabilization along better than it has been moving.
26
27 *snip*
30 > > We basically do. I don't have a link in front of me, but the council
31 > > did make a decision allowing the removal of packages from the stable
32 > > tree. It hasn't played out well though, because stable users expect
33 > > that once a package is in the stable tree it will stay there until a
34 > > newer version comes to the stable tree.
35 >
36 > I'd have to look up the exact decision, but it was basically left to
37 > maintainer discretion after some time lag. I think it is a useful
38 > safety valve. If the maintainer feels that the stable version is
39 > de-facto unmaintained and is causing problems, then we're not doing
40 > stable users any favors by just leaving it on their systems. Just go
41 > ahead and drop it and stable users can stick it in an overlay if they
42 > know what they're doing, but they won't just live with some unknown
43 > issue.
44
45 If we can get the newer version stabilized, we can then remove the
46 older version without breaking stable, so this then becomes a
47 non-issue.
48
49 Also, getting the newer version stabilized is a more favorable approach
50 because you don't have to deal with breaking the depgraph, or in the
51 case of a package that is in the stages, if you remove the stable
52 version, you can break the stages for that arch.
53
54 *snip*
57 > > 2. if the package is all data files, or if it is written in an
58 > > interpreted language e.g. python, perl, etc., Once the testing period
59 > > has passed, the maintainer will be allowed to stabilize it on all arches
60 > > that have a stable version without a stable request.
61 >
62 > I believe there is already widespread agreement on this point. We've
63 > talked about mechanisms to designate these packages but if we just
64 > want to go with maintainer discretion we might be fine.
65
66 Well, let me back up a bit on this one. We have the allarches keyword
67 which can be added to a stable request to let the first arch team know
68 to stabilize on all listed arches.
69
70 Maybe we should forget option 2, and just say that if a package version is in ~
71 with a stable request opened for more than 30 days with all of its
72 reverse dependencies stable the maintainer can stabilize that version of
73 the package on all arches that have a stable version.
74
75 William