From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:06:08
1 On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 23:56:30 -0500
2 Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/15/17 14:23, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >
6 > > What do you think?
7 > >
8 > I think this proposal is utterly unworkable in practice. While the
9 > intention is rather obvious, and heavily geared toward actual
10 > contributing members of the community at large, the proposed
11 > definitional scope and structure are incompatible with actual workloads
12 > already in place.
13 >
14 > To provide some perspective to those unfamiliar with the actual volumes
15 > in consideration here, just on the forums there are typically several
16 > "users" manually banned per day for posting spam, and perhaps a dozen or
17 > two profiles manually banned because the profiles themselves were spam,
18 > in addition to that there are typically hundreds (in some cases
19 > thousands) of accounts which are effectively automatically banned due to
20 > their spam content or at the very least matching reported user profiles
21 > on Stop Forum Spam[1]. Opening a Council bug for each of these would be
22 > an insurmountable workload if done manually, and at the very least a
23 > ludicrous volume of completely pointless mail to all Council members;
24 > but it is *exactly* what would be required by this proposal.
25
26 It sounds like you have a major technical problem and you do not even
27 attempt to solve it. There are many ways of attempting to divert bots,
28 and I don't think we should really be using inability to handle spam as
29 excuse not to report your actions.
30
31 Of course, regarding multiple replies received, it would probably just
32 be reasonable to generate simple periodical reports instead.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny
37 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>