From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 06:56:59
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 It's finally time to discuss some of the recruitment issues. It's not
4 a new complaint that the process is time-consuming and discouraging to
5 our contributors. We have a pretty low number of new recruits [well,
6 we could definitely have a higher number!] and too often they resign
7 in the process.
8
9 As I see it, the main issue are ebuild quizzes. They are very time-
10 consuming and discouraging. It's like filling a quiz with relatively
11 simple questions where answers need to fit a key, and you have to tell
12 the recruit to fill in the missing bits a few times just to help him
13 get further.
14
15 I myself attempted ebuild quiz twice, because the first time I simply
16 ended up not having the time for it. My late recruit was making slow
17 progress, and recently vanished -- hopefully only because he doesn't
18 have will for that anymore. As I see it, the disadvantages outweigh
19 the benefits here.
20
21 I have discussed this with kensington and a few Council members
22 (unofficially), and we came up with following ideas:
23
24 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
25 questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the stuff that
26 can't be checked otherwise.
27
28 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
29 the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests, review
30 them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend this with
31 requirements like '3 different developers must review late activities
32 and evaluate them'.
33
34 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
35 treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make it
36 a small extra part of the learning process. In other words, reduce
37 the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
38
39 What do you think?
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny