From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 20:59:01
1 On Friday, June 29, 2018 1:15:25 AM EDT Eray Aslan wrote:
2 > Re-sending to gentoo-project
3 >
4 > On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 09:11:11AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Since the nominees for the new Council aren't eager to publish
6 > > manifestos, and nobody seems to be asking questions (yet some people are
7 > > leaving hostile half-comments), I'd like to start a thread dedicated to
8 > > asking the nominees (who accepted) questions related to their views of
9 > > the upcoming term. At the same time, I'd like to ask all nominees to
10 > > answer all the questions provided by community members.
11 >
12 > Just a few sentences on the questions below would be nice.
13 >
14 > 1/ What do you think of closing gentoo-dev ML to the general public?
15 >
16 > 2/ Where do you think Gentoo stands in the Linux ecosystem? Who do you
17 > think are its users?
18 >
19 > Thank you
20
21 1. I believe the council faced a very tough decision regarding this matter. I
22 saw individuals voicing their opinion about "closing" the mailing list, but I
23 also saw very many continue on with no opinion. I believe we ought to define
24 what "closed" means with regard to this matter as well.
25
26 Anyone legitimately wanting to contribute can continue to do so by having
27 their address whitelisted. We have seen several do so and contribute without
28 the noise. Those wishing to dominate the mailing list and generate noise
29 cannot do so anymore.
30
31 I have not seen an opposed developer sponsor those individuals responsible for
32 the abruptions either. If concerns were so principled then those resenting
33 "closure" would have sponsored anyone and everyone seeking such.
34
35 Furthermore, the council decision was difficult due to the technologies
36 available to our infra to manage the mailing list. To whitelist or blacklist?
37 A blacklist is easy to manuever around. Spam filters would require serious
38 tuning to be effective and could create more issues. I don't intend to
39 discuss every possible scenario, but I believe the council reached a
40 reasonable decision. In the future, we can implement different technologies
41 to "open" it up more. The idea here being that an individual does not need to
42 request a sponsor.
43
44 I also think that the General Resolution GLEP is important here. If
45 individuals are truly upset with the decision they can gather enough votes to
46 nullify such a decision.
47
48 2. I believe Gentoo fits into many areas of the Linux ecosystem due to its
49 adaptability, configurability, and community. If I had to choose a particular
50 area where we excel it would probably be within server infrastructure. Of
51 course, I would be remiss to not mention that anyone with a ChromeBook is
52 benefitting from Gentoo. So while Gentoo, in it's purest form, may not exist
53 as many of us run it/see it there are many aspects comprising many
54 technologies out there.
55
56 There are many other examples you will find such as major gaming companies and
57 warehouses using Portage. Gentoo is truly unique and serves the needs of
58 users that want to understand their OS, control it, and adapt it to their
59 needs. So, those seeking these things are likely our users. Of course, many
60 run Gentoo as a desktop OS as well.
61
62 -Aaron