From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:02:57
1 El mar, 13-11-2012 a las 09:06 -0500, Rich Freeman escribió:
2 > On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On 12-11-2012 21:40:53 -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
4 > >> I understand that the council is scheduled to vote on a topic related to
5 > >> udev stabilization. Would it be possible to delay the vote for another
6 > >> month so that we have time to get organized?
7 > >
8 > > The Council has no votes scheduled for today's meeting.
11 > Huh?
12 >
13 > 2. Handling separate /usr support[1] (15 minutes)
14 > - approve/disapprove plan (forcing everyone to take action, and
15 > implement one of the two "supported" solutions)
16 > - approve/disapprove removal of gen_usr_ldscript
17 > - define timeframe
18 > * 30 days
19 > * 6 months
20 > * 1 year
21 >
22 > 3. Policy on "<" versioned dependencies[2] (5 minutes)
23 > - state whether said policy exists (homework for the council members)
24 >
25 > Rich
29 And why not allow that new version to be stabilized and add a third
30 option (until fork is clarified) over initramfs and busybox options:
31 people having splitted /usr partition and don't wanting to use any of
32 the other two options can simply hardmask newer udev locally that won't
33 be dropped until that month to clarify the fork.
34
35 We are already waiting for months for getting newer udev stabilized...
36 needing to wait another month for even taking a decision on that looks
37 depressing to me and people don't having splitted /usr isn't even
38 affected by this one. Also would be nice to know if the plans to fork
39 udev are only to let it handle separate /usr partition or more changes
40 (that could need more and more months)