From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: github's copilot feature
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 22:35:43
1 On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 5:43 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 04:33:43PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I just found out while I was on vacation about Github's copilot feature.
8 > It looks like the SFC is urging foss developers to ditch github over
9 > this.
12 I get the sentiment, but I don't see what direct impact it will have.
13 If Gentoo stops using Github all our code will inevitably still be on
14 there and will still end up being used to train copilot.
15
16 I'm not sure how strong the copyright argument even is. Your own
17 brain is a neural network that has been trained on copyrighted
18 textbooks, lectures, code from every employer you ever worked at, and
19 so on. Human beings don't even have the ability to avoid learning
20 from things they are exposed to; it is a completely involuntary
21 process.
22
23 In any case, it seems like the general preference has been to move
24 towards something else anyway, so it seems a bit of a moot point.
25 Most already want to move something else, and after we move basically
26 everything we have ever done and will ever do will still end up
27 embedded in the mind of copilot anyway.
30 Rich