From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] [sub-slot] List of features proposed for EAPI 5
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 21:02:35
1 Seems I was to quick with the previous mail.
2
3 On 04-09-2012 12:37:17 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > * Sub-slots
5 > PMS wording: <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms.git;a=commit;h=5d6749ac9e5ddc5b1daaad7737b65fa81c6ece47>
6 > Portage patch: <http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=e4ba8f36e6a4624f4fec61c7ce8bed0e3bd2fa01>
7 > Bug: <https://bugs.gentoo.org/424429>
8
9 Any pointers where we can find the argumentation what this is useful
10 for? PMS is very terse when it writes:
11
12 The sub-slot is used to represent cases in which an upgrade to a new
13 version of a package with a different sub-slot may require dependent
14 packages to be rebuilt. When the sub-slot part is omitted from the
15 SLOT definition, the package is considered to have an implicit
16 sub-slot which is equal to the regular slot.
17
18 While this is an inconsistency, as pointed out in previous email, it is
19 unclear to me how this feature distinguishes from the general slot
20 operator dependencies, which appears to achieve the same.
21
22 My impression here is that this tries to work around a problem where
23 SLOT != ABI. If (and that is what I assume here) the sub-slot is used
24 to have a major/minor-like matching criteria, it would've been more
25 native to use dev-libs/glib:2.* and a sole slot of "2.30".
26 In the end, it seems to be necessary to identify the various cases of
27 breakage using versioned ELF objects, based on libtool's versioning
28 rules, and use those as starting point to backup this feature. (Taking
29 special care for downgrading.)
33 Fabian Groffen
34 Gentoo on a different level