From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Meeting agenda - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 15:10:17
1 On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 10:16:26 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 9:02 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 16:44:47 -0400
7 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >>
10 > >> Presumably it would work similarly to the current state - we'd
11 > >> encourage people to donate via whatever organization we want the
12 > >> most money flowing into at the time. If we need more money in the
13 > >> Foundation bank account, we'd point donors to the Foundation. If
14 > >> we needed more money in some other bank account, we'd point donors
15 > >> to that one instead.
16 > >
17 > > Wow. So, presumably, we'd be showing a great lack of
18 > > professionalism to potential donors by our inability to solve
19 > > ridiculous internal disputes and asking them to pick sides.
20 > > Budgeting and delegating management of it is what usually allows to
21 > > maintain each sub-entity bank account (or virtual bank account) on
22 > > tracks, but the requirement for this to work is to be able to agree
23 > > in the first place...
24 >
25 > I wasn't suggesting having individuals "pick sides." If we wanted one
26 > org to have more money we'd have the other org turn away donors and
27 > refer them to the other, unless for some reason it makes more sense to
28 > have that particular donor contribute to that particular organization.
29
30 This still creates confusion, and IMHO confusion there is extremely bad.
31 Not sure how current donors proceed, but redirecting them will likely
32 make some of them back off instead of following the redirection.
36 [...]
37 > A big part of the problem right now is that our current organizational
38 > model has two groups more-or-less in-charge, and it is difficult to
39 > get agreement on which one should be on top, in part because the model
40 > that makes the most sense legally (Foundation on top) has the worst
41 > organization fit (we're a bunch of programmers, not
42 > accountants/lawyers). My guess is that if most contributors were
43 > given a choice they'd rather just see the legal issues "go away" and
44 > not have to worry about them. The problem is that with our current
45 > model that isn't possible, and due to our history it seems to be
46 > pretty hard to change that, and it will be even harder if we're
47 > fighting ourselves. Our model makes it even worse that we have one
48 > leadership board composed of volunteers who specifically want to be
49 > involved in the legal stuff, which is going to create more conflict.
50 >
51 > IMO getting another organization to help us out in our current state
52 > should be legally possible, but would probably require a bit of
53 > salesmanship to pull off. If half the community actively takes steps
54 > to sabotage whatever solution the other half tries to attempt we're
55 > probably not going to succeed at anything. This will be especially
56 > hard if due to disagreements on other issues there are individuals who
57 > aim to emphasize the disagreements that already exist.
60 Sure, another org is a great idea, but what I'm worried about is that
61 for now this gives me more the impression of council backstabbing the
62 foundation than trying to improve anything.
65 [...]