From: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-proxy-maint <gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] GURU[-rise]: looking for volunteers
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 01:08:50
1 On April 6, 2019 12:37:36 AM GMT+09:00, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 >Some of you have read about my GURU idea already. For those who
5 >haven't, a short description is included below. I'd like to start
6 >a simpler demo for it, and I'm looking for people interested
7 >in contributing.
10 >GURU is meant to be something between Arch Linux's AUR and the past
11 >Sunrise project -- an officially recognized repository made entirely
12 >by users, with minimal supervision from Gentoo developers.
15 Why making a new name? Betagarden or sunrise was not good enough?
18 >GURU would use two branches: a development branch where all interested
19 >contributors will be allowed to commit freely, and a reviewed branch
20 >where established members will push reviewed commits from
21 >the development branch. This is very similar to Sunrise, except that
22 >reviewing will not be limited to Gentoo developers.
23 >
24 >GURU would be only for new packages, or packages that are clearly
25 >abandoned in ::gentoo. While the packages wouldn't land in ::gentoo,
26 >having a single officially recognized place for them will help both
27 >users and developers to find them, and to maintain a single version,
28 >hopefully better than packages scattered all over private repositories.
29
30 I'm worried that guru will delay inclusion of new packages in the Gentoo repository also in the case where just a pull request review would be enough for keeping a good quality overall.
33 >GURU would use three user classes:
34 >
35 >1. Contributors -- allowed to commit to development branch, directly
36 >responsible for their own actions but advised to take care of whole dev
37 >branch.
38 >
39 >2. Trusted contributors -- allowed to merge to master branch and to
40 >accept new contributors. Responsible for quality of the master branch,
41 >and for monitoring new contributors.
42 >
43 >3. Gentoo Developers -- allowed to appoint trusted contributors and
44 >with
45 >superpowers. Responsible for taking emergency actions.
46 >
47 >The basic idea is whenever a new user requests joining, one of
48 >the trusted contributors (or developers) accepts him and starts
49 >monitoring his activity (mostly to quickly detect malicious users).
50 >When the user makes some recognizable good work, he becomes trusted
51 >contributor (as approved by a Gentoo developer) and starts reviewing
52 >stuff from dev branch and merging it to master branch.
53 >
54 >This is somewhat similar to Sunrise, except that instead of developers
55 >reviewing stuff (which IMHO caused Sunrise's downfall), we let users do
56 >that. Also, a major difference is that we allow inferior quality
57 >ebuilds, and assume other contributors are free (and encouraged!)
58 >to improve them.
61 >I'm looking for all people interested in participating in all three
62 >classes. That is:
63 >
64 >a. users interested in submitting their ebuilds to this repository,
65 >
66 >b. users interested in becoming trusted contributors and reviewing
67 >stuff,
68 >
69 >c. developers interested in taking part of overseeing this.
70 >
71 >I'm willing to accept some of the recognized proxy-maint contributors
72 >straight to category b. Though I should note that according to my
73 >idea,
74 >this is the category expected to have most work here.
75 >
76 >Gentoo Developers may expect some work especially at the beginning,
77 >in order to bootstrap this. However, once we have strong trusted
78 >contributor group the amount of work should decrease.
79 >
80 >Please note that the technical details haven't been decided yet.
81 >The GURU repository will probably be hosted on Gentoo Infra (due to
82 >need
83 >for git hooks). I'm going to try pushing a bit more for our own GitLab
84 >instance but if that fails, gitolite would probably have to be good
85 >enough. In that case, I will be taking care of adding people on behalf
86 >of others.
87
88 Gitlab instance? We have a Gentoo official Gitlab instance?
91 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.