From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:27:53
1 On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 08:53:38AM -0400, Chris Reffett wrote:
2 > On 8/30/2013 4:52 AM, Sergey Popov wrote:
3 > > 29.08.2013 19:57, Andreas K. Huettel пишет:
4 > >> The braindead thing is that the GLSA is only going out after all
5 > arches have
6 > >> stabilized.
7 > >>
8 > >> Meaning, the slowest arch in practice blocks the GLSA process.
9 > >>
10 > >
11 > > We have security-supported arches list with arch teams liassons. When
12 > > they are all stabilized package, we can begin to make GLSA even if there
13 > > are other arches pending(e.g. s390/sh/m68k are NEVER considered
14 > > security-stable arches, per out docs[1]). However i think we should
15 > > reconsider this list, probably throw some arches away(and add some new,
16 > > for example arm, for which i can became security liasson).
17 > >
18 > > [1] - http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/vulnerability-policy.xml
19 > >
20 > The problem here is one of workflow. Even if we ignore
21 > security-unsupported arches, our workflow is generally bump packages ->
22 > stabilize -> clean up -> release GLSA -> close bug. The problem is that
23 > while we can skip ahead and start drafting a GLSA, we can't clean up and
24 > close the bug until the slow arches catch up on stabilizing, so they
25 > hold us up regardless. I'm all for changing the officially supported
26 > list, but I'm not sure how much good it will do us.
27
28 Well, dropping an arch from the GLSA list is a far less drastic option, and
29 afaict from your description, would answer the concerns of long stabilisation
30 queues for devs on faster-moving archs, working on popular/volatile packages.
31
32 Perhaps that could be automated, with whatever timeframe QA blesses, and
33 act as a prelude or interim measure; either the arch goes unstable eg 6 or
34 12 months later or it shows it can keep up with GLSAs. That gives the team
35 enough time to either recruit, or taper down their workload, without losing
36 the work they've put in. The demoralisation effect of the latter is too
37 serious to ignore, especially for already-undermanned teams.
38
39 Under this view, if you don't have enough semi-skilled users interested
40 enough to help out with GLSAs, and can't get them in say 6 months, you don't
41 have enough developers to stay stable, but still have time to warn your users,
42 and wind-down after making the decision. Meantime, some of them might take
43 it as a wake-up call, and pitch in.
44
45 Regards,
46 steveL.
47 --
48 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)