From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 23:00:49
1 On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > That said, how do we make sure that new developers don't get screwed out
7 > of
8 > > devship by politics? Can we make sure that someone isn't going to
9 > refuse a
10 > > GPG endorsement based on, say..."I know who you are and I believe you are
11 > > who you say you are, but I don't like you/think you stink as a
12 > > developer/whatever else so I'm not going to endorse you anyway"?
13 >
14 > Well, if they only need two signatures and they can come from anybody,
15 > then you'd need to tick off an AWFUL lot of people for this to become
16 > a problem. If you actually managed to do that, somehow I suspect the
17 > recruiters are going to give you a hard time.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Rich
21 >
22 > Are we assuming that GPG signatures can only be obtained from developers
23 that know you personally?
24
25 Gentoo is a globally active distro with contributors from across the world.
26
27 Getting a face to face meeting with another developer is hard enough as it
28 is.
29
30 Add to this that we're socially inept geeks and probably don't have many
31 connections anyway, and you have the logical conclusion that a prospective
32 dev is NOT going to have an easy time actually getting endorsements.
33
34 Who can give you an endorsement anyway?
35
36 Answer this, and then you'll know whether or not the pool of potential
37 endorsers is going to be too small for it to become anything but a needless
38 bottleneck to becoming a developer.