From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:58:11
1 On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:46 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
4 > wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:55 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> The confusing thing about this is, how would we define "conflict of
9 > >> interest"?
10 > >>
11 >
12 > Well, Google supplies this which seems reasonable:
13 >
14 > "a situation in which a person is in a position to derive personal
15 > benefit from actions or decisions made in their official capacity"
18 I think the definition in the world of Gentoo would be expanded to cover
19 non-financial benefit, since Gentoo is a very egalitarian organization
20 (unlike a for-profit company) and there is an expectation of impartiality.
21 Also, in very few circumstances are the trustees or council voting on
22 issues that even have the potential for financial benefit.
25 > Well, nothing stops anybody from requesting anything, the question is
26 > whether this is binding. You can't just leave it up to random
27 > individuals to decide which specific Council/Trustee Members get to
28 > vote on which issues, for reasons that I hope are obvious.
31 It wouldn't be binding but could be requested, and the council/trustees
32 could decide whether the request is legitimate. Again, if there is the
33 *perception* of a potential conflict of interest, that can be enough for
34 someone to abstain from voting because it strengthens the legitimacy of the
35 vote.
36
37 Of course, the trustees/council could choose to disregard silly/garbage
38 requests. If they are a huuuuuge stretch, then declining them should not
39 undermine the integrity of the vote in any way (because they would be
40 pretty obviously based on paranoia or lack of true potential for conflict
41 of interest by anyone who seriously looked at them.)
42
43 But I think it's helpful if any member can voice concern about a potential
44 conflict of interest. If people have concerns about a lack of integrity in
45 the process, it is best for them to be able to be voiced and addressed. I
46 think we all want the votes of trustees and council to have weight and for
47 everyone to have confidence in the voting process. This is a win-win for
48 members and trustees/council. And as trust is built up over time, it just
49 puts the council and trustees in a better position to move the project
50 forward in a positive way and for everyone to feel good about the system we
51 have here.
52
53 -Daniel