From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 16:22:08
1 On 06/15/2018 12:11 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:03 PM kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> from: "$ man git-commit" : [...] The meaning of a
5 >> signoff depends on the project, but it typically
6 >> certifies that committer has the rights to submit
7 >> this work [...]
8 >>
9 >> this is frustratingly vague (to me), but I suppose
10 >> the extra metadata included in the same paragraph
11 >> has a link to: https://developercertificate.org/
12 >
13 > Well, we aren't using that as-is, but a modified version of this.
14 > Gentoo policies aren't contained in manpages.
15 >
16 > The Gentoo policy is in draft GLEP 76:
17 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/glep.git/tree/glep-0076.rst
18 >
19 > (It was posted a few days ago on this list, and discussed here in
20 > various forms over the last few years.)
21 >
22 >> ^ took me a few minutes to figure out what you meant,
23 >> or where that particular quote came from:
24 >
25 > It came from GLEP 76 (still in draft). It is of course based on the
26 > Linux DCO (which I believe is attributed in the GLEP).
27 >
28 >> I had never considered this, because historically,
29 >> gentoo developers who use their PGP key to commit
30 >> rarely use the --signoff feature when committing the
31 >> submissions of a contributor, and even if they had,
32 >> there's not a stable definition.
33 >
34 > Today they shouldn't be using --signoff, because there IS no official
35 > policy. They will be required to do so once GLEP 76 is approved (this
36 > will be enforced with a commit hook).
37 >
38 >> "some other person who certified" - does this mean the
39 >> contributor needs to use their PGP key to sign or...?
40 >>
41 >> it would be good for gentoo to have clarity on this.
42 >
43 > IMO it is up to the certifier to decide what constitutes a
44 > certification made by somebody else. This is necessarily outside of
45 > Gentoo so to try to impose a particular mechanism would make it harder
46 > to use outside code. For example, all Linux commits have a DCO
47 > signoff, but these have no GPG signoffs to go with them. We wouldn't
48 > want to block people from using GPL2 Linux code just because they use
49 > a different mechanism to track such things.
50 >
51 > The Gentoo DCO is an agreement between the Gentoo committer (a Gentoo
52 > dev) and Gentoo.
53 >
54 > That is roughly how I see it at least.
55 >
56 > --
57 > Rich
60 well golly. that's swell. I hadn't been keeping up with
61 those details. sounds good. like real good.
62
63 (I'll likely be silent for a few days. busy.)
64
65 -- kuza