From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2021-04-11
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 15:37:33
1 On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:03 AM Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 4/8/21 5:09 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Apr 7, 2021, 21:51 Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o
4 > > <mailto:juippis@g.o>> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Why hasn't this been switched yet?
9 > > We don't have the infrastructure to support this yet. E.g. if we told
10 > > people to do it our anon git service would likely fall over and stop
11 > > working.
14 > I like the "yet" part. Meantime, default to Github/gentoo-mirror?
15
16 I think you know that that's not going to be an acceptable solution
17 for many people.
18
19 > One thing I was also thinking, how heavy is git as a package compared to
20 > rsync in stage3. But to me, doesn't sound heavier at all, especially if
21 > it's built with a lot of USE flags off.
22
23 % equery size net-misc/rsync dev-vcs/git
24 * net-misc/rsync-3.2.3-r2
25 Total files : 31
26 Total size : 979.02 KiB
27
28 * dev-vcs/git-2.26.3
29 Total files : 638
30 Total size : 31.70 MiB
31
32 A bit of a difference :)
33
34 I agree that we should be trending towards using git for emerge --sync.