From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Making GLSAs useful for security
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 03:51:06
1 On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 01:13:55 +0000
2 "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Picking a rather random post to chip in on, but here we go with my
5 > thoughts...
6 >
7 > How about once we identify a [triaged] security issue, it gets assigned
8 > a GLSA there and then, and a templated email gets sent out to notify
9 > users of the vulnerability and the priority assigned to it internally.
10 > You could also tag a bugzilla reference, for users to track progress in
11 > between identification and resolution. Then, you should be able to meet
12 > your published policy by pushing out some information to users, and
13 > especially sysadmins, so they are informed, and can choose for
14 > themselves what actions they feel appropriate to take in the first
15 > instance (eg. mitigation until resolution is found).
16 >
17 > Then, post a 'FIXED' message referencing again the GLSA and bug ref. to
18 > indicate the 'preferred' resolution, any appropriate package updates,
19 > etc. once this has been tested/stabilised/etc. to allow for manpower
20 > issues and anything else that could be considered 'beyond reasonable
21 > control' from the Gentoo angle. Yes, so you get double the "spam", but
22 > since security issues are relatively infrequent (vs. -dev bikeshedding,
23 > etc) I don't honestly think that the burden of early vs. late
24 > notification against extra email messages to be kept informed would be a
25 > problem for most people appropriately concerned.
26
27 Or you could have different streams for different grades of GLSA ( ie:
28 weak advisory ones that aren't qualified with exploits, vs ones that
29 are detailed strong avisories where people know the full extent of the issue)
30
31 That way you, in following with gentoo principles, allow the user to decide
32 what they care about the most and opt in to which of these they receive.