From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Date-of-birth in developer applications
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 15:00:08
1 On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 9:19 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > Assuming that these files are copyrightable (and I would say so, for
3 > a file with 300+ lines and 10 kB size), they should really have a
4 > license header. So, should we try to contact all authors, or continue
5 > to ignore the issue? (Or even, rewrite everything from scratch?)
6 >
7 > Ulrich
8
9 Ignoring the problem may work best. It accounts for those developers
10 or contributors who don't want to sign a license agreement. It removes
11 any work that needs to be done to fix something. Gentoo probably has
12 some standing to enforce copyright of all code contributed to its
13 infrastructure assuming the original license holder does not come back
14 and wish to enforce their rights against Gentoo.
15
16 In most countries the law does not exist to cheat people. The human
17 element of these transactions taking place now will be considered,
18 probably in a very positive light considering the work was volunteer.
21 If someone wants to steal the code they will and there will be no way
22 to tell. Stop worrying about it. There is no point in trying to work
23 around bad law. Work to change the law instead of wasting time.
24
25 Cheers,
26 R0b0t1