From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo now has a Github "organization"
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 18:03:12
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Aaron W. Swenson
<titanofold@g.o> wrote:
> And me, please. (titanofold on github.) >
Might I suggest that somebody who is interested volunteer to organize a github project of some sort (short-lived or otherwise), have everybody just reach out to them, maybe have a meeting or two on IRC, and then systematically coordinate what happens with our repository there and work out access with infra? The alternative seems to be some combination of everybody wondering what it is for, and a bazillion one-off access requests on -project, just so that everybody's name can appear on the member list. I don't want to suggest that nobody do anything until we have a huge formal process that will never happen. I just want to suggest that if somebody is really interested in our github presence that they just step up and proclaim themselves the github lead and start soliciting volunteers to help. If we get more than one then they can work it out amongst themselves, or worst case have a quick poll on IRC. That's generally how Gentoo projects work. I'd rather see a benevolent dictator actually make something happen than lots of people just waiting for something to happen on its own. Said dictator should try to be inclusive, of course. Matt - if you're interested in taking on this role by all means feel free, but I imagine you're pretty busy as it is. I know you were kind of thrust into it de-facto. My only suggestion is to try to organize things such that there is room for many different uses. I'd carve out a place to put a future gentoo-x86 git clone, overlays (both project and personal), sources for other gentoo projects, and so on. I've been maintaining cfg-update in my own github repository, and if it makes sense I'd be happy to move it to the gentoo org as it is just an etc-update alternative. To quote from one of the few wikipedia policies that I like, "be bold!" Just remember it belongs to all of us. To the gentoo community in general - unless you want to get involved in the initial setup, I'd refrain from posting any access requests until you're actually ready to make some kind of use of it. If you do want to get involved productively then by all means speak up, whether you're a gentoo dev or not (and the team can figure out to what extent non-devs should have access - if we're going to host anything that actually ends up distributed like sources for tools we should control access in general). Rich

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo now has a Github "organization" Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>