From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014 / 2015 election
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:01:49
1 On 07/02/14 09:10, Justin (jlec) wrote:
2 > On 02/07/14 13:04, hasufell wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman:
4 >>> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:30 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> So you are basically saying a conflict of interest can happen and when
6 >>>> it does, everyone will actually realize it and also act appropriately.
7 >>>>
8 >>> Well, if people don't do that, then you're up the creek no matter what
9 >>> system of governance you come up with.
10 >>>
11 >>> SOMEBODY has to make the final decision, and they can always have a
12 >>> conflict of interest.
13 >>>
14 >>> Unless half the council is in on the original offense, it really only
15 >>> makes a difference if it is a close call. So, avoid doing things that
16 >>> would tick off half the council and you should be fine. :)
17 >>>
18 >>> This is no different than a majority of trustees being able to sell
19 >>> the Foundation to your least favorite IT vendor. If you're going to
20 >>> vote a bunch of untrustworthy individuals into office, then you might
21 >>> not like the result.
22 >>>
23 >>> I don't see a practical alternative. The kinds of skills that you
24 >>> need to be a decent Trustee, Council member, or Comrel member overlap
25 >>> significantly. We aren't exactly a huge organization. So, we either
26 >>> have to accept overlap, or put people into these roles that we might
27 >>> otherwise not want to. There is also QA and Infra to consider - do we
28 >>> not allow anybody to be on more than one of these teams?
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> Then I hope dilfridge and jlec respond to this thread, so I can make a
32 >> decision on how to vote.
33 >>
34 > Hi Julian,
35 >
36 > I definitely understand your worries that placing the power of Comrel
37 > and its controlling counterpart into the same person.
38 > And I thought about this before, but as said by others, there are a
39 > number of reason why the situation isn't as bad as it seems.
40 >
41 > Each team, council and ComRel consists of several members who should
42 > counterbalance any problematic situation. Two thoughts came to my mind
43 > here, should we regulate the number of people being in both teams? and
44 > should we exclude council members being in ComRel from any decision
45 > where the council needs to act upon ComRel? The first one would avoid
46 > that ComRel takes over the council and the second obviously would tackle
47 > your concerns.
48 >
49 > Has there been a case where a "conflict of interest" happened in
50 > reality? And couldn't be solved? I don't know any, but I can be wrong
51 > here. Nevertheless, we shouldn't forget the argument Rich came up with,
52 > we aren't many people and if there are persons who bring the competency
53 > for both jobs and are willing to spent the time, then we really should
54 > try to build on that rather then trying to create a problem.
55 >
56 > I am a doing recruiting, which is a subproject of ComRel and makes me to
57 > a ComRel member. But normally I don't feel responsible to act in the
58 > interpersonal cases. So in the end there are different types of ComRel
59 > members.
60 >
61 > In the end, I would look onto the person and not onto the tables telling
62 > you in which teams they are. There will be double seated ComRel+Council
63 > members who will be fair and objective, but there also will be solely
64 > council members, who will be pain when you need the council to resolve
65 > conflicts. So we should choose the right persons based on their personality.
68 > Justin
71 I think a distinction is getting blurred between lack of integrity and
72 conflict of interest. You can have a situation where everyone acts with
73 the utmost integrity and there still exists a conflict of interest. We
74 vote for members of the council because presumably they have gained our
75 respect by showing objectivity, integrity, fairness and good judgment.
76 (Technical skill too, but that's orthogonal). This trust, which is
77 measured by voting, is what gives the Council legitimacy as the highest
78 seat of power within Gentoo. However, we know that no one is above bad
79 judgment, bias, self-interest, etc. If a person is put in a position
80 where the Council's interests are in direct opposition to ComRel (eg the
81 Council must censure ComRel), any decision that person makes will be
82 questionable --- were they really objective? This in turn erodes our
83 trust in the Council and its legitimacy. Then we have flame wars.
84
85 Having said that, we can opt to not allow members of ComRel to be on the
86 Council in which case the conflict of interest is a moot point. Or we
87 can trust that the individuals involved will have enough integrity to
88 recognize the conflict and abstain. Or the rest of the community or
89 council can ask them to abstain. Etc. As long as the decisions made
90 are made by those who appear to be "untainted" by the issues we
91 shouldn't have any problems. People will respect the Council's final
92 decisions.
93
94 BTW, the possibility of a conflict of interest exists between any
95 project and the council, Uts just that given ComRel's policing powers,
96 we don't want too much concentration of power in a few individuals.
99 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
100 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
101 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
102 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
103 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA