From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Proposal to ease flames
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 01:36:08
I was thinking about the recent discussion re flames and firefighting on the
dev m-l. One thing that occurred to me, as a user who has been on one side
of those, is that it would have been better if I had never been able to
post more than two posts in a day. (I mean this for the technical dev m-l,
not project.)

That's plenty for me to say "I think that's out of order" and to answer a
response, but it also means I can't get too emotional if I get flamed by a
stressed-out dev. After all, since the proctors have gone, there's no one
to respond in anything like mail-list time in the (admittedly unlikely ;)
event that there is another flamewar on the dev list and more cogently
no-one to mute a troublesome user (in real time). A dev who is consistently
anti-social (especially out of the blue when they should just ignore the
thread) can be dealt with by devrel. (And have been in the past.)

If the user is making a valid point, surely others will post in support, and
in any event they can respond the next day. That would minimise the chance
that a user unused to the rough-and-tumble of dev behaviour would react in
a hostile manner, and can in no way be seen as censorship of the user
community, at least to my mind.

What do you think?