From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Proposal to ease flames
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 01:36:08
1 I was thinking about the recent discussion re flames and firefighting on the
2 dev m-l. One thing that occurred to me, as a user who has been on one side
3 of those, is that it would have been better if I had never been able to
4 post more than two posts in a day. (I mean this for the technical dev m-l,
5 not project.)
6
7 That's plenty for me to say "I think that's out of order" and to answer a
8 response, but it also means I can't get too emotional if I get flamed by a
9 stressed-out dev. After all, since the proctors have gone, there's no one
10 to respond in anything like mail-list time in the (admittedly unlikely ;)
11 event that there is another flamewar on the dev list and more cogently
12 no-one to mute a troublesome user (in real time). A dev who is consistently
13 anti-social (especially out of the blue when they should just ignore the
14 thread) can be dealt with by devrel. (And have been in the past.)
15
16 If the user is making a valid point, surely others will post in support, and
17 in any event they can respond the next day. That would minimise the chance
18 that a user unused to the rough-and-tumble of dev behaviour would react in
19 a hostile manner, and can in no way be seen as censorship of the user
20 community, at least to my mind.
21
22 What do you think?
26 gentoo-project@g.o mailing list