From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 18:43:15
1 On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 07:31:33PM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 08/04/2016 06:24 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > I feel that our stable tree is so far behind on all
4 > > architectures that we are doing our stable users a disservice, so I
5 > > would like to open up a discussion here, and maybe some policy changes
6 > > at the next meeting.
7 >
8 > Far behind isn't necessarily a problem as long as it doesn't have bugs,
9 > in particular security related ones. Updating too often (without a good
10 > reason) can also be annoying enough.
13 > > Ultimately, I think we need some form of automated stabilization, e.g.
14 > > if a package version sits in ~ for 30 days and there are no blockers at
15 > > that point, the new version should go automatically to stable on all
16 > > architectures where there is a previous stable version.
17 >
18 > I LOUDLY disagree. The stable tree should not be compromised by such
19 > automation, it is already bad enough without proper use-testing in some
20 > cases. Stable isn't only about building properly.
21
22 and that's why we don't commit straight to stable. people are supposed
23 to be testing those ~arch versions for a while before they go stable.
24 That testing should cover the use cases you are talking about and work
25 out the bugs. Once that's done, we should be able to move the package to
26 stable.
27
28 William