From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2020-02-09
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 09:28:30
1 On Mon, 2020-01-27 at 16:53 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > two weeks from yesterday, on 2020-02-09, the Gentoo council will meet at
3 > 19:00 utc in the #gentoo-council channel on freenode.
4 >
5 > Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to discuss
6 > or vote on.
9 ulm has started the discussion on licensing ebuilds as GPL-2+ (i.e.
10 permitting the users to choose a future GPL version, and developers to
11 create derivative work licensed using newer GPL terms) [1].
12
13 I'd like to request the Council to vote on the following aspects of that
14 separately:
15
16 1. Can developers individually decide to license their ebuilds as GPL-2+
17 rather than 'GPL-2 only' (provided that they fulfill relicensing
18 requirements)?
19
20 2. Should developers be encouraged to use GPL-2+ for new ebuilds
21 (whenever possible)?
22
23 3. Should we start collecting permissions from contributors to relicense
24 their GPL-2 work as GPL-2+? This will be helpful both to 1. and 2.
27 Context:
28
29 Recently pkgcheck was extended to check copyright notices on eclasses.
30 This is based on a similar check for ebuilds, which in turn is based
31 on check in repoman. It explicitly requires 'GPL-2 only' license.
32
33 This new check discovered [2] that ant-tasks.eclass is using GPL-2+
34 header, and as such flagged it as incorrect. This raises the question
35 on whether we should allow this license, or restrict ant-tasks.eclass
36 to 'GPL-2 only'.
39 [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/89edd9093ecb797fbf9ecb7aab9ef1e2
40 [2] https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gentoo-ci/output.html#global
43 Best regards,