From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 14:41:19
1 On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 22:05:45 +1200
2 Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 01:59:35 -0400
5 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > While I think your proposal is a great one, I think this is actually
8 > > the biggest limitation. A lot of our packages (most?) don't
9 > > actually have tests that can be run on every build (most don't have
10 > > tests, some have tests that take forever to run or can't be used on
11 > > a clean install).
12 >
13 > IMHO, That's not "ideal", but we don't need idealism to be useful
14 > here.
15 >
16 > Tests passing give one kind of useful kind of quality test.
17 >
18 > But "hey, it compiles" gives useful data in itself.
19 >
20 > By easy counter example, "it doesn't compile" is in itself useful
21 > information ( and the predominant supply of bugs filed are compilation
22 > failures ).
23 >
24 > Hell, sometimes I hit a compile failure and I just go "eeh, I'll look
25 > into it next week". How many people are doing the same?
26 >
27 > The beauty of the automated datapoint is it doesn't have to be
28 > "awesome quality" to be useful, its just guidance for further
29 > investigation.
30 > > While runtime testing doesn't HAVE to be extensive, we do want
31 > > somebody to at least take a glance at it.
32 >
33 > Indeed, I'm not hugely in favour of abolishing manual stabilization
34 > entirely, but sometimes it just gets to a point where its a bit beyond
35 > a joke with requests languishing untouched for months.
36 >
37 > If there was even data saying "hey, look, its obvious this isn't ready
38 > for stabilization", we could *remove* or otherwise mark for
39 > postponement stabilization requests that were failing due to
40 > crowd-source metrics.
41 >
42 > This means it can also be used to focus existing stabilization efforts
43 > to reduce the number of things being thrown in the face of manual
44 > stabilizers.
47 > > If everything you're proposing is just on top of what we're already
48 > > doing, then we have the issue that people aren't keeping up with the
49 > > current workload, and even if that report is ultra-nice it is
50 > > actually one more step than we have today. The workload would only
51 > > go down if a machine could look at the report and stabilize things
52 > > without input at least some of the time.
53 >
54 > Indeed, it would require the crowd service to be automated, and the
55 > relevant usage of the data as automated as possible, and humans would
56 > only go looking at the data when interested.
57 >
58 > For instance, when somebody manually files a stable request, some
59 > watcher could run off and scour the reports in a given window and
60 > comment "Warning: Above threshold failure rates for target in last
61 > n-days, proceed with caution", and it would only enhance the existing
62 > stabilization workflow.
63
64 This whole thing you are proposing has been a past stats project many
65 times in GSOC for Gentoo. The last time, it produced a decent system
66 that was functional and __NEVER__ got deployed and turned on. It ran
67 for several years on the gentoo GSOC student server (vulture). It
68 never gained traction with the infra team due to lack of infra
69 resources and infra personnel to maintain it.
70
71 Perhaps with the new hardware recently purchased to replace the failed
72 server from earlier this year, we should have some hardware resources.
73 If you can dedicate some time to work on the code which I'm sure will
74 need some updating now, I would help as well (not that I already can't
75 keep up with all the project coding I'm involved with).
76
77 This is of course if we can get a green light from our infra team to be
78 able to implement a stats vm on the new ganeti system.
79
80 We will also need some help from security people to ensure the system
81 is secure, nginx/lightttp configuration, etc...
82
83 So, are you up for it? Any Gentoo dev willing to help admin such a
84 system, please reply with your area of expertise and ability to help.
85
86 Maybe we can finally get a working and deployed stats system.
89 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>