From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 13:39:42
1 On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 15:14:51 +0200 Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 9/6/18 2:47 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > >  - Host a Gentoo Conference.
4 >
5 > I would generally argue that visibility on existing conferences is
6 > likely better cost/benefit than hosting large conferences on our own, in
7 > particular given the geographically diverse membership.
8
9 I fully support this motion.
10
11 > That said, we already do this successfully with e.g gentoo miniconf;
12 > very nice conference (thanks to those hosting it) and at relatively low
13 > cost as track on other linux conferene (In case of others; I'm
14 > specifically thinking of the prague ones).
15
16 By the way, do we have any idea when a next one will took place?
17
18 > We have from time to time talked about a day before/after FOSDEM as that
19 > seems to be the largest single meeting point, but the idea, at least for
20 > me, is mostly rejected as people are tired enough after such a large
21 > conference and I don't see very much gain from it vs just the stand we
22 > have today at substantially lower cost.
23
24 IMO the main problem here is that an extra day will be a workday.
25 While visiting FOSDEM during weekend is easy for most attendees,
26 sacrificing an extra workday may be a problem.
29 Best regards,
30 Andrew Savchenko