From: Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] call for agenda items, council meeting 8/13
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 13:16:56
1 On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 07:02:58AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:35:35 AM EDT Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 > > On 08/01/2017 01:43 AM, Benda Xu wrote:
4 > > > Is it feasible to reduce the workload by only stablizing the longterm
5 > > > supported kernels?
6 > >
7 > > On 08/01/2017 12:30 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
8 > > > I'd suggest taking it further and allowing auto-stabilization of all
9 > > > point releases whether they're security releases or not.
10 > >
11 > > Both of these are also in line with what has previously been [discussed
12 > > in wg-stable]:
13 > > --<---------------------------------------------------->--
14 > > \subsection{Kernel}
15 > > There should be kernel packages in stable visibility available to end
16 > > users for \pkg{sys-kernel/gentoo-sources} and other kernel variants
17 > > referenced in the installation instructions of the handbook, in order to
18 > > ease the configuration for new users.
19 > >
20 > > For Kernel stabilisation it is not possible for an arch tester to test
21 > > all possible configuration and hardware combinations. Other kernel
22 > > variants, that are expected for more advanced users to begin with,
23 > > likely does not make sense to stabilise given there the lack of
24 > > stability guarantees. Restricing the number of stabilised kernels hence
25 > > aids in reducing arch tester workload.
26 > >
27 > > As discussed previously\cite{kernel01,kernel02} a consistent
28 > > stabilisation policy on kernels is also important in order to ensure
29 > > that the latest point release is available to end-users in order to
30 > > ensure that security- and bugfixes are offered. In the experience of the
31 > > WG the kernel upstream has a strict policy on maintaining backwards
32 > > compatibility and not breaking userspace which has been proven over time.
33 > >
34 > > As such it makes sense to
35 > > \begin{itemize}
36 > > \item Stabilise Long Term Stable (LTS) branches once they have been
37 > > determined to be so and tested downstream
38 > > \item Have an automatic policy of stabilising new point releases
39 > > within the LTS
40 > > \item non-LTS branches should not be stabilised
41 > > \end{itemize}
42 > >
43 > > --<---------------------------------------------------->--
44 > >
45 > > References:
46 > > [discussed in wg-stable]
47 > > https://download.sumptuouscapital.com/gentoo/wg-stable/main.pdf
48 >
49 > So will the council consider ratifying the WG stable suggestions for kernel
50 > releases?
51 >
52 > -Aaron
53
54 Thinking about this more..
55
56 I'm actually OK with what's written in the WG stable suggestion. As
57 long as this does not imply that we will support every LTS labeled
58 kernel from upstream.
59
60 Right now we have 8 different versions and back when I started in 2007
61 we had a policy to only support 2.
62
63 I would still like the Kernel Project to decide which versions to
64 support and when to drop versions from the tree. We're very flexible
65 and do respond to user's reasonable requests.
66
67 So, if the kernel section of the WG stable document can be voted on
68 without the need for the entire document to be blessed please do so.
69
70 Mike
74 Mike Pagano
75 Gentoo Developer - Kernel Project
76 Gentoo Sources - Member
77 E-Mail : mpagano@g.o
78 GnuPG FP : EEE2 601D 0763 B60F 848C 9E14 3C33 C650 B576 E4E3
79 Public Key : http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xB576E4E3&op=index